DISABILITIES MENTORING DAY
WHEN: October 25, 2017
For MENTOR application, click HERE.
For MENTEE application, click HERE
Disabilities Mentoring Day facilitates the pairing of job-ready persons with disabilities with companies that utilize the skills they have or are developing through training. The mentees gain insight from practicing professionals around job requirements, jobs duties and tasks and where mentee skill sets are a best fit. The mentees are demonstrating to local employers that it is their ability that counts, not their disability. For the mentoring organizations, the time spent with the mentees shows businesses examples of the breadth and depth of skills that persons with disabilities offer and is an opportunity to ensure that company policies and facilities are welcoming to all persons.
- To provide mentees access to workplace contacts, environments, skills, & HR process.
- To increase confidence among students and jobseekers with disabilities.
- To enhance internship, co-operative education and employment opportunities for persons with disabilities.
- To dispel employers’ fears about hiring people with disabilities and promote disability confidence.
- To give employers an opportunity to benchmark themselves as being accessible to what is a largely untapped pool of talent as well as a massive consumer market.