Kingston Youth ShelterWebsite IconFacebook Icon
Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Kingston Youth Shelter offers a variety of services to homeless/precariously housed youth between the ages of 16-24. Our services help youth stabilize, grow, develop, and work towards their goals for independent living. We provide youth with the acceptance, empathy, and support that they need in order to transition successfully into young adulthood. At KYS, homeless does not mean hopeless.
Youth who arrive at our doorstep come from all walks of life. There are many factors that may lead to youth homelessness such as: poverty, trauma, abuse, oppression, immigration, mental health, (dis)ability, addictions, or conflict with the law. With guidance from the trained professionals at KYS, youth can overcome these barriers and move on to live happy, healthy lives. Forward Together.
In Kingston and area, 1 in 3 homeless persons is a youth. Each year, we offer assistance to approximately 200 youth through a variety of programs – each with a different means of accomplishing the same goal: ensuring homeless youth do not become homeless adults.
Job Listing #2867
Kingston Youth Transitions Counsellor • Part Time / À Temps Partiel
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019
Application Deadline: 31 Jan 2019
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Hours Per Week: 20+
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 16.50
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
The Kingston Youth Shelter is looking for qualified and responsible individuals to fill part time counsellor positions in their transition homes.
Job Summary: Counsellors maintain a clean, safe, and supportive living environment for the young people who need to stay at our emergency shelter and transition homes. They also assist residents to secure employment, education, and other supports by referring them to the appropriate resources in the community and by providing them with motivational counselling. Counsellors are required to respond to crisis situations and to resolve conflicts that occur between residents.
Time Commitment: These positions consist of a schedule containing a mixture of evenings, overnights, weekends and weekdays including holidays.
- Providing counselling and support to youth using a non-judgmental approach
- Offering support and advocacy to assist a resident to follow through with the options they choose
- Teaching basic life/living skills while role-modeling appropriate behaviour and communication
- Providing information to residents about services available to them through Kingston Youth Transitions, as well as other community agencies – making referrals where required
- Clear and concise written documentation in the house log, resident files, and any associated paperwork
- Notifying the appropriate superior of any developments, concerns, or problems which may arise that may not otherwise be dealt with through the regular routines
- Cleaning/minor maintenance associated with residential upkeep
- 2-year diploma in a Social Service Field
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Suicide Intervention Certificate
- Past experience working with youth in a residential setting
If you fit the above criteria and are interested in becoming a part of our team, please email a resume and cover letter along with 3 references to Executive Director Ruth Woodman (email@example.com).
You have viewed this listing 1 times.