Museum Asisstant - Seasonal / Saisonnier
Organization Overview:Apply Now Save Listing Share Listing Print Listing
Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at KingstonWebsite Icon
Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
The Marine Museum has a mission to inspire an enduring connection to the maritime history of Kingston and the Great Lakes. Our mandate is to preserve, interpret and educate our collections and make those collections accessible to the public for research.
Job Listing #3351
Museum Asisstant • Seasonal / Saisonnier
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2019
Application Deadline: 01 Apr 2019
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Other / Autre
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire $14
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
The Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston seeks two Museum Assistants to assist the museum staff with community outreach programs and collections management tasks throughout the busy summer season. The Museum Assistants will be exposed to a variety of activities that keep a museum working in both “front of the house” and “back of the house” operations. This position is a great opportunity to work in a friendly, creative and collaborative work environment while developing education programs, public communications and collections management skills. The museum’s mission is to inspire an enduring connection to the maritime heritage of Kingston and the Great Lakes. This is a full-time summer position to be funded by Canada Summer Jobs and Young Canada Works.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Assist the Programs & Communications Manager with a variety of public program activities throughout the summer at special events and summer camps.
- Greet visitors to the museum gallery, give interpretive tours of the gallery to enhance visitor experience and track visitor feedback and attendance.
- Help maintain and increase a social media presence for the museum through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Organize archival materials and artefacts to improve accessibility of the collections for research.
- Record location data of the collection items in an Excel database.
- Answer research questions using the museum research databases.
- Assist the Museum Manager with administrative tasks.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Must be eligible for funding under the terms of the Young Canada Works or Canada Summer Jobs grant programs.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills are required to communicate with youth groups, adults and seniors.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Excel and Word; graphic design experience is an asset.
- Ability to work independently or with small team in public environment.
- Education or experience in education programs, museum studies, collections management, environmental science or history an asset.
- Experience with all forms of social media marketing.
- Must be willing to work weekends throughout the summer through Labour Day weekend.
- Must have driver’s license.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Doug Cowie at email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Marine Museum of the Great Lakes, 53 Yonge St., Kingston ON K7M 6G4.
You have viewed this listing 1 times.