Thousand Islands Boat MuseumWebsite IconFacebook Icon
Industry Sector: Other / Autre
Located on the waterfront in Gananoque, Ontario, The Thousand Islands Boat Museum (TIBM) is a hands-on Museum where history becomes something that can be touched, built, and experienced.
The Museum includes a Boatbuilding Shop, a Children's Activity Center, Exhibit Galleries, and an ongoing outreach program at the GISS High School during the school year.
Job Listing #715
Dock Hand and Visitor Experience Facilitator (Summer Student Position) • Seasonal / Saisonnier
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2018
Application Deadline: 20 Apr 2018
Location: Town of Gananoque
Category: Other / Autre
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire $14.00
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
Start Date: May 14, 2018
Located on the waterfront in Gananoque, Ontario, The Thousand Islands Boat Museum (TIBM) is a young, fast-paced, hands-on organization. The vision of the TIBM is to bring the heritage of the St. Lawrence River, the 1000 Islands and the magic spirit of the region to life. The TIBM is open to the public seasonally (May-October), and is looking for summer students to work primarily on the docks and on boats as part of the seasonal, full-time team.
Summer students are the first face visitors will meet at the TIBM. Although summer students will be asked to preform a variety of tasks, the successful candidates should possess the ability to be professional, polite, responsive, and willing to meet each challenge directly. Most importantly, the summer students should have an upbeat attitude and willingness to learn.
As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage women, aboriginal people, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities to apply for employment.
- Engage with visitors to describe the in-water fleet, work on the dock welcoming those visiting the museum by boat; and maintain the in-water fleet (cleaning and upkeep)
- Welcome museum visitors and provide orientation and general information – the successful applicant will ensure that each visitor’s experience at the Boat Museum is interesting, that all questions are answered accurately and that the visitor leaves with a greater understanding and appreciation for the rich history of the region
- Operate a cash register; collect payments by accepting cash, check, or charge payments from customers; making change for cash customers; balance cash drawer at beginning and end of work shift
- Help organize all aspects of events
- Assist with marketing, education, and membership initiative and activities
- Assist with retail operations
- Assist with developing and implementing educational materials and programs
- Assist (help, support, contribute) with daily museum operations
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
- Must be flexible to work weekends, some evenings and Museum events
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following skills and qualifications:
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrate interest in the River, Gananoque and the region
· Experience on boats and the water is ideal
· Mechanically inclined
· Experience operating a cash register
· Experience working with children in educational setting
· Experience providing tours in a museum setting
· Basic computer skills specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
To meet Young Canada Works and Canada Summer Jobs funding requirement must:
· Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada
· Be legally entitled to work in Canada
· Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
· Have finished the school term at the start of employment
· Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
· Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the job
· Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the job
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please forward resume to:
Thousand Islands Boat Museum
125 Water Street
You have viewed this listing 1 times.