Queen's UniversityWebsite Icon
Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Job Listing #17109
Artistic Lead, Sistema Kingston • Part Time / À Temps Partiel
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2022
Application Deadline: 08 Dec 2022
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Other / Autre
Hours Per Week: 17.5
Pay Rate: Salary / Salaire 45,001 TO 55,000
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
There are few opportunities as meaningful and rewarding as teaching, mentoring and supporting children from under-served areas who otherwise would never have an opportunity to participate in music learning. Based at the Faculty of Education at Queen's University, Sistema Kingston is an intensive after-school outreach program that focuses on positive social development through the pursuit of musical excellence. Using the Venezuelan El Sistema as its model, Sistema Kingston emphasizes inclusivity and teamwork, builds personal persistence, and fosters creativity and personal responsibility in all of its activities. Sistema Kingston seeks an experienced Strings educator to support program expansion in our community.
The Artistic Lead (AL) will be a lively, experienced music educator whose specialization is Strings. The AL will develop and support the implementation of long and short-term musical goals for the entire program at all sites and coordinate musical programming that leads toward successful student performance events. The AL will participate in curriculum development, and document curriculum/lesson plans and manage data for easy access by the entire instructional team. The AL will work closely with the Director and with the team at each site and to ensure smooth operation of all activities.
This position is required to be on-site during program hours and may require some schedule flexibility to support additional program requirements.
Undertake musical planning in consultation with Director - propose learning priorities, timelines, repertoire; make musical arrangements as needed; lead lesson planning in collaboration with Teaching Artists (TAs); ensure timelines, priorities and performance goals are being met by the instructional team and students and adjust as needed.
• Mentoring: Mentor TAs through modelling and observation during program hours. Support Teaching Artist training.
• Ensemble Conducting: Conduct ensembles at all levels
• Recruitment: Collaboratively develop recruitment strategies and co-lead student recruitment efforts with instructional team; develop and lead fun and engaging musical recruitment presentations at all sites.
• Instruments: Coordinate instrument cleaning/maintenance and distribution, and equipment maintenance; proactively plan for music and equipment purchases; ensure instrument parking spots are labelled and accessible. Lead paper instrument project.
• Schedules: Create master schedule for TAs and troubleshoot last minute schedule adjustments due to unforeseen circumstances; assign activities, spaces and students.
• Concerts: Coordinate musical aspects of events - plan concert repertoire in collaboration with the instructional team; plan themes and concert flow; provide content for printed programs, determine set up requirements, etc. Work with other SK personnel on non-musical aspects of events.
• Library: Ensure sheet music library and student binders are well organized and maintained.
• Student support: Mentor and support students in all contexts during program hours and performances; model the principles and philosophy of Sistema Kingston in all activities.
• Wait regular Sistema Kingston team meetings.
• Other duties as required in support of program operations.
• Post-secondary degree in music or music education, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 3 years experience teaching music; teaching music to groups of children is an asset.
• Experience working with children with Adverse Childhood Experiences, special needs, or behavior exceptionalities, an asset.
• Demonstrated musical proficiency in a string instrument (violin, viola, or cello), and ability to read and arrange music.
• Experience planning concerts or other related events.
• Conducting experience.
• Valid driver's licence and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
• Satisfactory Criminal Records Check including Vulnerable Sector Screening is required.
• Consideration may be given to a combination of education and experience.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to communicate effectively with diverse populations in a professional manner and to provide clear and accurate information.
• Ability to think ahead to anticipate needs and potential problems.
• Ability to remain calm and respond diplomatically and sensitively using good judgment in stressful/difficult/controversial situations.
• Resourcefulness and creativity, with strong attention to detail and consistency.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Physically able to carry up to 25 lbs.
• Ability to transport instruments for repair and off-site storage.
• Make decisions about repertoire, concerts, weekly schedules, and lesson planning requirements to meet artistic goals.
• Assess which inquiries/problems to refer to appropriate other staff and which to handle to completion.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO APPLY:
You have viewed this listing 1 times.