Cycling Ambassador - Seasonal / Saisonnier
Cycle Kingston Inc.Website Icon
Industry Sector: Other / AutreOrganization Description:
Cycle Kingston, Inc., is a registered Canadian charitable organization and incorporated non-profit whose mandate is to provide safe cycling education and cycling skills training in Kingston, Ontario, so that citizens will gain competence and confidence, and will become empowered to choose cycling as a personal means of transportation. Cycling offers many benefits: health, well-being, environmental, economic, social, and more.
Job Listing #17764
Cycling Ambassador • Seasonal / Saisonnier
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2023
Application Deadline: 31 Mar 2023
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Other / Autre
Hours Per Week: 32.5
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 16.00
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
Summer Job Opportunity
May to August, 2023 (14 weeks). Possibility of extension.
32.5 hrs per week (average), $16.00 per hour
Cycle Kingston Inc. is a volunteer-led, local, registered charity whose mandate is to provide safe cycling education and cycling skills training, with the aim to encourage safe, healthy, community-friendly transportation choices. Cycle Kingston also operates two social enterprises: Gear Up Recycled Bicycles, and Bicycle Valet Kingston.
We are seeking to hire Cycling Ambassadors who will work as a team this summer to develop and deliver a variety of cycling safety and skill development initiatives, and promote safety awareness, to a variety of audiences across the community.
Goals for summer 2023
- Being a visible presence modelling responsible cycling on the road.
- Design presentations, contact schools, book, and deliver in-school cycling safety presentations (May and June).
- Assist volunteers with running annual Cycling Week events and activities (June 4 – 10).
- Help launch and promote new online cycling safety education material.
- Help plan, promote, and deliver two weeks of summer day-camp, in collaboration with Queen’s University Q-Camps (July and August).
- Help plan, promote, and deliver half-day mini-courses for small groups of adults and youth.
- Organize several community rides focusing on cycling safety.
- Promote Cycle Kingston at and operate bicycle valet parking service at events, as required.
- Help organize cycling safety circuits at community events, public markets, community centres, and community agencies, as opportunities arise.
- Help maintain an active social media presence.
- Help coordinate outreach for September to welcome new students to university and college in Kingston.
- Other related duties to be determined.
Terms and Conditions of Employment:
- You will working full time, an average of 32.5 hours per week, with a flexible schedule (i.e., some weeks will require more hours, and some will require fewer hours). You will be required to work most weekends.
- You will work from early May to mid-August, with the possibility of extension pending funding.
- You will be paid $16.00 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay, paid bi-weekly.
- You will work alongside another Cycling Ambassador.
- Your worksite will be a combination of working from our office located at the Kingston Memorial Centre, 303 York Street, Kingston, and working from home or community spaces.
- As this position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program, applicants must be youth aged 15 to 30 years old.
- You must have and use a certified cycling helmet while riding. Cycle Kingston branded shirts will be provided to be worn for most events and activities. Cycling gloves and rainwear are recommended.
- You will have resources and expertise available to support you, including volunteers who have extensive experience in safe cycling education and instruction, plans and notes from previous events and cycling courses. You will be provided with theoretical and practical skills (on-bike vehicular cycling training).
- Successfully complete a safe cycling training course (provided by Cycle Kingston).
- Be physically fit and able to perform duties outside, all day, in any weather.
- Successfully pass criminal police check with vulnerable sector screening.
- Must own or have full-time access to a functional and properly maintained bicycle (Cycle Kingston can help with procurement if necessary).
- Have a respect for people regardless of their background, income level, ethnicity, culture, age, disability, or sexual and gender orientation.
- Ability to effectively speak with and engage individuals and groups of people of all ages a in both informal and formal situations.
- The ability to collaborate and work cooperatively with others in and outside of Cycle Kingston.
- Ability to be an independent problem solver with the initiative and ability to confidently take on tasks, within prescribed guidelines of a project.
- Familiarity with and proficient user of social media applications.
- Ability to use common office software including MS Word and Excel.
Preferred Qualifications / Skills
- Experience as a youth camp counsellor (or similar role).
- Experience instructing adults in a learning situation.
- Experience and/or interest in bicycles and cycling (e.g., cycle-commuter, bike mechanic).
- Fluency in French language for instructional and conversational communications.
- First aid and CPR training.
Application Process and Deadline:
To apply, please submit a résumé and a one-page cover letter describing why you are a great candidate for the position. Submit your application, by email only, by 5:00pm on Friday, March 31st, to:
Neal Scott, President
Cycle Kingston, Inc.
Cycle Kingston, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and organization. Persons applying for this position will not be discriminated against based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability. All qualified individuals are invited to submit an application. We thank all applicants for their interest in the position, but only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about us at www.cyclekingston.ca
You have viewed this listing 1 times.
Featured Job / KEYS Job Board
Contract / Contrat
Queen's University Biological Station (QUBS) (Food Service Worker)
Leeds and Grenville
Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 20.00