Food Service Worker - Contract / Contrat
Queen's University Biological Station (QUBS)Website Icon
Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ ÉducationOrganization Description:
Queen’s University Biological Station
Background of QUBS: The Queen's University Biological Station (QUBS) is one of the premier scientific field stations in Canada. For almost 70 years, researchers from Queen’s, many other Canadian and US institutions, and from Western Europe, Latin America, and China have gathered at QUBS to conduct leading-edge research and participate in field courses spanning ecology, evolution, conservation, geography, and environmental science. Comprising two campuses including the Opinicon Campus, located near Chaffey’s Locks in Elgin, and the Elbow Lake Environmental Education Centre (ELEEC) located in Perth Road Village, QUBS provides a diverse and rich educational atmosphere that promotes learning and scientific outreach. With over 40 buildings between both campuses, QUBS provides quality living and laboratory facilities to accommodate long, and short-term guests year-round. QUBS facility is also host to public workshops, outreach events, conferences, and training programs.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact QUBS Management (www.QUBS.ca).
Job Listing #17767
Food Service Worker • Contract / Contrat
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2023
Application Deadline: 15 Apr 2023
Location: Leeds and Grenville
Category: Restaurant/Hotel / Restaurant/Hôtel
Hours Per Week: 40
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 20.00
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
Queen’s University Biological Station is looking to hire full-time and casual food service workers to assist with food preparation, cooking, and serving for 12 to 50+ people served buffet style. Meals are served three times daily, 7 days a week for researchers, field technicians, special event attendees, and staff. The period of employment is seasonal between May and August 2023, with part time hours in September and October (for special events such as conferences and workshops).
- Report to the Kitchen Manager and/or Operations & Stewardship Manager, the Food Service worker ensures meal preparation activities are completed according to schedule and to a high level of quality and safety.
- Prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items in broilers, ovens, grills, and a variety of other kitchen equipment according to recipe specifications.
- Recognizes food allergies and dietary requirements/preferences, and provision of alternatives foods where practicable.
- Ensuring safe food handling practices in the kitchen, dining room, servery and food storage areas, as well as ensuring the quality and appetizing presentation of meals.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at buffet table to assure smooth meal times.
- Assist with monitoring and maintenance of food and supplies inventory
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Follows the daily closing checklist for kitchen.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager and/or QUBS management.
- Empties waste bins or similar receptacles throughout kitchen (waste/recycling/compost), and transports material to designated collection points in a timely manner.
- Communicate to QUBS management in a timely manner with any issues that are likely to affect their work which they consider management should be aware of.
- Provide support and comply with all safety working standards, assist management in ensuring the safety of yourself and all co-workers at all times
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- All staff are expected to be calm and courteous to colleagues and guests and support a welcoming environment
Room & Board:
Onsite accommodations and board available.
- Minimum Grade 12 Secondary School Diploma
- Experience in all aspects of food handling and preparation (1 year)
- Basic culinary knowledge and knowledge of products
- Experience in large-quantity cooking is an asset but not necessary
- Current Food Handler Certification & Knowledge of food safety guidelines
- Ability to assist with planning and implement a cost-effective menu
- First-Aid Level C certification (an asset)
- Be reliable and honest
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Physically fit, able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Interpersonal skills to deal with a variety of people (staff, QUBS users of all types, and the public)
- Provide satisfactory criminal record check
You have viewed this listing 1 times.
Featured Job / KEYS Job Board
Contract / Contrat
Queen's University Biological Station (QUBS) (Food Service Worker)
Leeds and Grenville
Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 20.00