Museum Intern - Contract / Contrat
1000 Islands History MuseumWebsite IconFacebook IconTwitter Icon
Industry Sector: Other / AutreOrganization Description:
The Historic 1000 Islands Village Foundation operating as 1000 Islands History Museum, established in 1995, is a registered charity, dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, interpretation and study of the unique tangible and intangible heritage of the natural environment and the people who have and do live in the region now known as Leeds and the Thousand Islands, as well as a focus on Gananoque.
The 1000 Islands History Museum believes in cultivating meaningful relationships with the public through interactive and entertaining learning experiences, dialogue and debate, and diverse narratives arising from the collections. We are a community museum that seeks to engage and inspire visitors by building a connection to the human and natural heritage of the area and opening a door to exploring our future.
Job Listing #18313
Museum Intern • Contract / Contrat
Date Posted: 25 May 2023
Application Deadline: 21 Jul 2023
Location: Town of Gananoque
Category: Other / Autre
Hours Per Week: 35
Pay Rate: Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 16.65
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
The 1000 Islands History Museum (1000IHM) is seeking a Museum Intern interested in museum collections management and interpretation. The Museum Intern will be an integral part of the 1000IHM operating team and engage in collaborative team projects related to key museum functions. Under the supervision and guidance of senior museum staff, the Museum Intern will assist with completing the objectives of the Civic Collections Strategic Plan, as well as develop and implement the 1000 Islands History Museum’s interpretive exhibits and programming. The Intern will also participate in key cultural sector training and professional development activities.
- Complete all necessary training and orientation, including Health and Safety and Safe Artifact Handling
- Follow all Collections Management and 1000IHM policies and procedures according to established policy documents.
- Physically inventory collections artifacts in storage
- Accurately complete collections management paperwork in hard copy and on the Past Perfect database, including catalogue records, condition reports, and exhibit records
- Process new artifact donations and assist with artifact acquisition and accession through donor interviews, artifact evaluations and research, and paperwork.
- Complete basic storage preparation and preservation actions for collection artifacts
- Assist with seasonal collections Storage Inspections and Environmental Monitoring
- Complete exhibit development plans for upcoming exhibits
- Prepare and take down interpretive exhibit displays
- Perform front desk duties, including opening and closing the museum, greeting visitors and members of the public, and answering visitor inquiries
- Assist visitors in the gift shop, run the gift shop cash register, and produce daily sales reports
- Develop and deliver educational programming and special events
- Deliver guided museum tours
- Meet regularly with the Civic Collections Coordinator to discuss progress.
- Prepare written progress reports
- 32-week YCW-BCH Internship, 35 hours/week, $16.65/hour
- Start Date: August 1, 2023
- End Date: March 31, 2024
- Applicants registered with Young Canada Works are encouraged to apply online through the YCW system.
- Resumes and Cover Letters can be sent via email to Joanne van Dreumel, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resumes and Cover Letters can be sent by mail to:
The 1000 Islands History Museum
125 Water St.
Gananoque ON K7G 3E3
- Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted
The 1000IHM is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any bias.
Gananoque, with a population of 5,500 is a beautiful, historic town, rich in culture, attractions, natural scenery, and is part of the UNESCO designated Frontenac Arch Bisophere. Also known as the “Gateway to the Thousand Islands,” the story of Gananoque begins with the geological formation of the region, Indigenous settlement, European exploration, war, the growth of industry and tourism, and the story continues. The 1000 Islands History Museum, established in 1995, is a registered charity, dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, interpretation and study of the unique heritage in the region now known as Leeds and the Thousand Islands, as well as a focus on Gananoque. The Museum receives approximately 30,000 visitors annually.
For further information see our web site www.1000islandshistorymuseum.com
- Post-Secondary graduate in Museum Studies or related field
- Basic knowledge of current practices and innovations in museum interpretation and collections management
- Proficiency with computers and Windows operating system
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Previous experience with collection management databases (Past Perfect etc.) an asset
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions and problem solve
- Effective organization and time management
Young Canada Work at Building Careers in Heritage Eligibility:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible)
- are legally entitled to work in Canada
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program
- are unemployed or underemployed
- are a college or university graduate
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program
- Note: Priority will be given to graduates that have not previously participated in YCW internship programs
You have viewed this listing 1 times.
Featured Job / KEYS Job Board
Contract / Contrat
KEYS Employment & Newcomer Services (Career Advisor - Next Horizon for International Graduates/Students (Competition 545))
Kingston and Surrounding Area
Hourly Wage / Rémunération Horaire 27.03