Queen's UniversityWebsite Icon
Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Job Listing #7646
Department Assistant • Full Time / À Temps Plein
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2021
Application Deadline: 27 Jun 2021
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Clerical/Administrative / Administration/Travail de bureau
Hours Per Week: 35
Pay Rate: Salary / Salaire 35,001 TO 45,000
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
Reporting to the Director, Student Academic Success Services (SASS), and taking direction from the Managers, the incumbent provides overall administrative, organizational,, and clerical support for the operations of the unit. The incumbent performs day-to-day administrative functions, provides assistance for the unit’s programs, services, staff, and communications, and updates the departmental website. The incumbent also processes financial transactions and provides assistance with budget preparation reporting, and other activities, as required.
- Organize, schedule and maintain daily operational and administrative requirements of the unit.
- Prepare correspondence, facilitate meetings, and record meeting minutes.
- Perform receptionist duties with the primary focus on client service, greeting individuals, providing welcoming environment, ensuring coverage when away from the desk, and responding in a timely manner to requests.
- Act as front-line resource and contact person, providing information, feedback and support to staff, faculty, students and outside parties. Research and/or synthesize answers to questions and solve administrative problems within guidelines and/or redirect complex questions to the appropriate individual. Screen phone calls and visitors, respond to client requests for writing and learning support, and determine eligibility for services within unit guidelines and policies. Provide triage and recommend resources as required.
- Administer online appointment booking system, including building program schedules, and ensure smooth functioning of 1:1 services. Monitor daily and long-term appointment capacity, recommending adjustments and participating in implementation as required. Troubleshoot system issues, and generate and analyze reports and statistics.
- Make required updates to departmental website, including content, layout, and links, at Manager’s direction.
- Assist in planning the logistics of events, workshops, and training programs, including scheduling online/remote meetings and webinars, securing venues/event sites, coordinating event logistics, ensuring technical support, and preparing catering orders, as requested.
- Assist with creation and completion of event runs, event layouts, volunteer responsibilities, event-planning forms, and other documents required to ensure events run smoothly, as requested.
- Assist with coordination of event registration, including updating the event registration system, monitoring registration numbers, and communicating with registrants.
- Schedule and post social media content and respond to comments/questions.
- Use analytics to track engagement with electronic communications and social media and update Outreach Coordinator and/or Outreach Manager.
- Serve as the unit computing and telecommunications representative.
- Assist the Director and Managers in preparation of reports related to programs, budget planning and allocation, training, unit reporting, and surveys, including content, formatting, editing, proofreading, printing, and distribution; collect, compile and process information. Maintain unit databases and filing systems and ensure information is accurate and current. Generate reports on stats and trends upon request.
- Perform financial and accounting duties in support of the unit, such as invoicing, monitoring and reconciling accounts, preparing travel expenses, departmental requisitions and journal entry forms. Prepare contracts and letters of employment for casual employees and students. Act as the departmental timekeeper. Submit for approval employees’ hours of work, overtime and absences and enter payroll and related information into PeopleSoft system.
- Provide staff orientation to administrative processes within the unit using appropriate onboarding protocols. Assist in the coordination and tracking of mandatory and optional staff training and professional development activities.
- Screen, interview, select, train, and supervise work study students for reception and other duties. Provide work direction and guidance, schedule and assign work and oversee its completion. Escalate unresolved performance and/or disciplinary matters to the Manager.
- Recommend and participate in the implementation of revisions to administrative procedures.
- Monitor inventory of office supplies and other resources/equipment, and order as required within budget constraints.
- Order, distribute, and monitor all departmental keys and fobs.
- Liaise with other staff and departments to coordinate flow of information, as directed.
- Advise senior staff of important matters requiring their attention. Refer complex problems to senior staff when necessary. Keep Manager apprised of any changes to schedule that affect budget or delivery of service.
- Coordinate and plan for physical services in consultation with Director, including space allocation, security, accommodation, equipment maintenance and supplies. Support the promotion of new technologies and coordinate the implementation of enhancements.
- Act as primary liaison with Campus Security and Physical Plant Services for all routine matters of housekeeping, maintenance and safety. Act as the unit safety officer if required.
- Undertake other duties as delegated in support of the unit.
- Strong office administrative skills, including advanced computer skills and graphic design capability. Comprehensive understanding of database management and MS Office Suite. Ability to learn new software packages, adapt to emerging technology, and assist in training other staff with same as required.
- Recognizes diversity of abilities and adapts content, tone, medium and style to audience to be inclusive.
- Respects diversity and promotes inclusion in the workplace.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (both verbal and written) to deal with a wide variety of individuals in a professional manner and to provide clear and accurate information, using good judgement.
- Analytical skills to review data and determine reporting needs.
- Ability to balance competing priorities, requiring quick and appropriate decision-making skills.
- Problem-solving skills, to help resolve administrative problems and to maximize efficiency.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to interpret and articulate guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to take initiative and responsibility with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- In consultation with the Director and Managers, determine and implement appropriate practices and procedures to efficiently deliver services and information to clients and programs.
- Assist in determination of the data required for reporting. Identify if data is missing and determine if further action is required.
- Make daily operation decisions and resolve administrative problems within guidelines.
- Interpret departmental regulations, policies, and procedures to determine how to best respond to queries and distribute information/promotional material.
- Decide when new information requires further action, such as distribution or verification.
- Participate in the selection of new hardware/software technologies and aid in the implementation and transition within the unit.
- Establish and/or make recommendations regarding office administration procedures.
- Determine when to refer problems or sensitive issues to senior staff. Judge which inquiries to refer to the Managers and/or Director, which to refer to other staff, and which to handle to completion.
- In consultation with the Managers and/or Director, make recommendations and decisions associated with the physical requirements of the department such as space allocation, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Assess the suitability of work study students and recommend the most appropriate person for hire.
- Determine priorities and make decisions about casual and student staff utilization and the assignment of work to achieve optimum efficiencies and productivity.
- Assess casual and student staff training needs and make recommendations for internal or external training to attain proficiency.
- Determine priorities within time constraints.
APPLICANTS PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW:
- Three-year post-secondary program in business administration or related field.
- Demonstrated successful administrative experience in an office/service environment required, preferably in a post-secondary environment.
- Previous experience assisting with event planning required.
- Previous experience writing, editing, and proofreading communications and correspondence.
- Basic knowledge of bookkeeping/accounting practices.
- Working knowledge of departmental and University structure, policies and procedures and their relevance to Student Academic Success Services’ programs and policies preferred.
- Experience using Web, HTML and social media platforms preferred.
- Experience with PeopleSoft systems is considered an asset.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector check required.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
You have viewed this listing 1 times.