Tipi Moza (Iron Homes)Website Icon
Industry Sector: Other / Autre
Indigenous Not For Profit Housing Provider
Job Listing #8005
Social Services/Cultural Support Worker • Full Time / À Temps Plein
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2021
Application Deadline: 06 Aug 2021
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Hours Per Week: 35
Pay Rate: Salary / Salaire 35,001 TO 45,000
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
POSITION TITLE: Social Services/Cultural Support Worker
Tipi Moza (Iron Homes)
Job Number: 2021-2-Social Services/Cultural Support Worker
(Job Number MUST be included in subject line of email when applying)
Hours: To be Determined
Start Date: To be Determined
Employment: Contract- 6 Months to start with a yearly extension (contingent on funding)
Closing Date: August 6, 2021
Tipi Moza is a small but vibrant and evolving non-profit organization. We are seeking to hire a full-time Social Services/Cultural Support Worker to join our team. In addition to education and experience in the Social Services field, applicants must have a general knowledge of the history of Indigenous people in Canada within the context of the impact of that history on Indigenous people today. They must have a clear understanding of the importance of culture in healing, and a sincere interest in providing services that will encourage resiliency in our clients and enhance their overall wellbeing.
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO QUALIFIED CANDIDATES OF INDIGENOUS ANCESTRY WHO SELF-IDENTIFY AS SUCH.
The position does require the provision of Indigenous cultural services as needed, such as healing ceremonies and the like, but this duty can be carried out through facilitation: making Indigenous community connections that allow our clients to access the cultural support they need from experts outside the Tipi Moza organization or engaging them in cultural activities taking place in other locations in the community.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supporting and advocating for Tipi Moza clients according to their individual needs and situation
- Building trust with clients by listening attentively and actively to what they have to say and providing opportunities for them to tell their stories when they are ready, using the talking circle and talking stick
- Ensuring that clients feel represented, visible, and welcome in our organization by greeting them by name, remembering and mentioning information they have shared etc.
- Facilitating spiritual advisement and teachings by elders and knowledge keepers as needed
- Providing opportunities for ceremonies such as smudging, tobacco ceremonies etc. and participation in sweat lodges and talking/healing circles
- Enhancing Indigenous cultural connections through land-based teachings; the teachings of the Medicine Wheel; the Seven Grandfather Teachings; storytelling; drumming; singing; traditional crafts; the creation and maintenance of a Medicine Garden and/or a Three Sisters Garden etc.
- Liaising with Indigenous organizations such as the Métis Nation, or organizations that have services for Indigenous people
- Assisting clients in developing resiliency by exploring and participating in strategies for healing, such as talking circles etc. and accessing the services and resources that are needed by each individual client
- Proactively addressing social needs and presenting issues such as unemployment, racism, poverty, and the like in a timely and manageable fashion according to the capability of individual clients, and helping create and implement an action plan for those who are ready
- Assisting clients in making good decisions and taking positive action in order to build personal and social skills
- Ensuring that clients understand their rights and responsibilities and that they are given opportunities to communicate their concerns and celebrate their successes
- Encouraging clients to participate in local Indigenous events and initiatives such as Orange Shirt Day ceremonies, Indigenous Peoples’ Day activities, outings arranged by the Métis Nation, and the like, creating a sense of community and pride in their culture and ancestry
- Communicating effectively and respectfully with clients, colleagues, and key stakeholders
- Keeping detailed, current records as required by the Executive Director
- Demonstrating a client-centered philosophy and commitment to Tipi Moza’s vision, mission, and guiding principles
- Demonstrating knowledge of, and complying with, Tipi Moza’s policies and procedures
- Operating at all times in a safe and secure manner
- Promoting a harmonious, risk-free work environment
- Functioning as an integral member of the Tipi Moza team
- Maintaining client privacy and confidentiality
- Attending and participating in staff meetings
- Promoting, participating in, and contributing to a positive and supportive team environment
- Working in compliance with the Health & Safety Act and its regulations, and following all health and safety policies, procedures and practices
- Following Health and Safety Program requirements based on the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
- Following appropriate safety measures for the agency, self and the individuals receiving services
- Participating in all mandatory training requirements.
- Reporting all Health and Safety Issues to the Executive Director or designate
Qualifications: College diploma in Social Services, Behavioral Psychology, or equivalent; Indigenous knowledge gained through lived experience, training courses, seminars etc; related experience
- Awareness of relevant local services and resources, including those available specifically for Indigenous people
Must be able to provide an acceptable criminal reference check including vulnerable sector
Please submit a cover letter and resume clearly indicating how you meet the requirements for this position to email@example.com by August 6, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their submissions; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
You have viewed this listing 1 times.