Queen's UniversityWebsite Icon
Industry Sector: Social Services/Education / Services sociaux/ Éducation
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Job Listing #8529
Departmental and Financial Assistant • Contract / Contrat
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2021
Application Deadline: 30 Sep 2021
Location: Kingston and Surrounding Area
Category: Clerical/Administrative / Administration/Travail de bureau
Hours Per Week: 35
Pay Rate: Salary / Salaire 45,001 TO 55,000
Language Requirements: English / Anglais
Click Link Below To Apply:
Reporting to the Department Manager, the Departmental and Financial Assistant performs daily office administration duties, which include financial (the accurate and efficient organization and distribution of financial data and compiles, processes, stores, and disseminates financial data) and administrative. The Departmental and Financial Assistant communicates with the university staff as well as other external organizations to assist in all aspects of departmental unit functioning.
- Assist with the annual budget preparation, allocation, and management. This includes the preparation of financial spreadsheets and monthly reports, setting up and reconciling accounts.
- Administers departmental, research and trust accounts, including Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, monitoring, reconciling, auditing accounts and allocating funds.
- Performs financial and accounting duties such as processing transactions, paying bills (including cheque requisitions), deposits, travel advances/expense reports, journal entries and month-end cost recoveries.
- Assists in the monthly preparation and reconciliation of the Visa account.
- Assists with the monthly transactions detail reports and Statement of Operations of all departmental accounts.
- Maintain financial records, ensuring all transactions are compliant with University financial policies and procedures.
- Assists in the rental of all Film and Media Isabel space with regards to booking, calendar reconciling, invoicing, payment tracking, organizing staffing, and liability insurance. Working with the Isabel staff to coordinate events both departmental and external.
- Coordinates and tracks data via spreadsheets on guest speakers in order to process honorarium payments, expense reimbursements, and funding spending.
- Assists the Advancement Coordinator with donations and pledges made to the department.
- Manage and monitor media assets in our Archive Database using FileMaker Pro, follow up on overdue items, and assist with check out for guests. Catalogue and barcode new assets as they are acquired.
- Performs administrative support duties such as front line reception. Aids in the administration of special projects and events and undertakes other duties in support of the Departmental Administrator as required.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned in support of the unit.
- Attention to detail to achieve high level of accuracy in financial and administrative reporting.
- Sound knowledge of financial accounting practices, combined with an ability to synthesize and organize financial information.
- Ability to learn and apply new software packages as required.
- Interpersonal skills for effective communication (verbal and written) with other staff, students, and outside contacts.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
- Organizational and time management skills with an ability to maintain focus in spite of varied and busy work environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Responds to general inquiries, and provide accurate information and advice to clients. Redirects to more senior staff or other individual as required.
- Problem solve and resolve issues related to financial and account problems within established guidelines, determining when to refer issues to senior management.
- Suggests and participates in implementing changes regarding office administration procedures and policies.
- Responds to inquiries pertaining to operating, research, and departmental trusts and funds.
- Prioritize own work and time to ensure deadlines and deliverables are met.
- Two-year post-secondary program in business administration or related program with emphasis on financial accounting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of university structure, policies and procedures including financial/accounting systems preferred.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Finance and other University systems (e.g. AcQuire, FAST and Expense Reimbursement System (ERS)) is considered an asset.
- Highly proficient in all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook.
- Promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
You have viewed this listing 1 times.